Saturday, September 5, 2009

Return to Hong Kong

The start of year 2 has been many things; pretty, peaceful, packed, powerful, physical and perfect.

1. Pretty: My creative energies have been tickled through photography opportunities on hikes, an afternoon at Art Jamming, and the Grade 5 first unit of inquiry "How we Express Ourselves with Digital Technology" (my perfectly awesome excuse to play and create masterpieces on my macbook!)

2. Peaceful: For my entire first year living at Lilian Court my view included quite a few racks of bamboo scaffolding and green mesh (standard HK building construction set-up) and on weekend mornings I usually awoke to a large-scale heavy machinery soundtrack. Half-way through the year scaffolding went up around Lilian Court itself, as workers replaced the drainage pipes for the entire building. My kitchen view became non-existent, the weekend morning soundtracks became interior orchestras and the smells of noxious chemicals, welding metal and even sewage occasionally penetrated my living space. Upon my return to Lilian Court this August I was thrilled to notice, on my first morning waking in my space-ship bedroom, that I could hear birds chirping amidst a sweet calmness. I opened all the blinds to a delightfully un-scaffolded view.

3. Packed: The pace of life and work in Hong Kong. Always busy.

4. Powerful: This is the first time in my short career that I have been afforded the absolute luxury of teaching the same thing for a second round. I have slowly identified within myself (and with the help of others' observations and comments) a serious control freak. My spirits become elated after carrying out simple organizational tasks and my psychological well-being is satisfied by knowing exactly what is going on and what is expected. My new team leadership role within Grade 5 has given me these insights into the big picture and completely satiated my inner control freak.

5. Physical: In my first month back in Hong Kong I have joined a Yoga school, 2 hiking groups and made it down to the school pool regularly after school. Creating a balance between school, fitness, professional development, cyberspace, social life and city life will continue to be a challenge, but I've set off on a energized foot which will hopefully remain strong.

6. Perfect: Life in Hong Kong  is good :)

1 comment:

  1. You are a constant source of motivation for your old mother, who occasionally seems to feel the need to slow down, until she reads your blog. Then I think, "Gee, I want to do her life."

    ReplyDelete