Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The New Tattoo

The weekend before my tattoo appointment for the outline sitting, I met an amazing individual who happens to have no tattoos. In casual conversation, the upcoming tattoo appointment was mentioned and I was challenged to articulate why I was getting this piece done. Many people, possibly yourself included, have asked the simple question of "Why?". I didn't have an immediate answer during this conversation and that frustrated me. After a couple days of reflection here is what I wrote as a response.


...when you asked me about my tattoo, i didn't have a clear explanation to satisfy your honest curiosity and it's been bothering me ever since we spoke of it. i didn't have an articulate explanation because i haven't told very many people about it. i didn't like the feeling of being judged by your opinion of tattoos in general and i was disappointed in myself for not being able to clearly define the significance that it embodies for me. this manifested itself briefly as a feeling of doubt but ultimately helped me critically reflect on my own motivations for getting this new tattoo. i know the answer to the why? deep within myself, but i have rarely shared it with someone else. i appreciate that you challenged me to evaluate my desires and come to a better understanding of how to express them.


there are 5 elements which explain why tattoos are significant to me: i am a nomad; i am a 'young' soul and therefore, at times, painstakingly reflective; i am an artist; i am a risk taker; and life is short.


i am a nomad. permanency is a something i rarely touch. the permanency of a tattoo is one of the only ways i have ever felt the weight of something forever. it is powerful and i am drawn to that.

i am young. i can be naive. i am very impressionable. i am always learning, but never afraid to fail. i don't experience regret. i do believe that hindsight is 20/20; i never stop reflecting upon my experiences to learn new things about myself. i write in a journal, and more importantly, i always read, reread, reevaluate and learn from my past entries. my tattoos are an artistic record of who i am and the experiences that have shaped me. they are my own celebration of such stages of learning and periods of growth.

i am an artist. i have created art all around the world. most of what i create is temporary, left behind, given away, covered up and ultimately lost from my life. tattoos have always intrigued me for their permanency and also their beauty. from my eyes, when done tastefully, art on flesh is one of the sexiest expressions of beauty. as an artist, tattoos are important to me because they are mine - my taste, my canvas, my choice, and my perspective. tattoos can be breathtakingly beautiful to me. unlike many people, every tattoo i have is entirely for me, for my memories, my experiences and in no way for someone else. for me, tattoos define a strong and unique connection between creativity of the mind and the body.

i am a risk-taker. i enjoy not knowing exactly how things will turn out. i crave adrenaline and the anticipation of something monumental.

life is short.


this might seem like an extreme overindulgence to you (quite honestly this was written much more for me than for you, but i do enjoy sharing). you inspired and challenged me to articulate my motivations which turned into a significant appraisal for me. i really appreciate this...


And now, one week later, I have the outline finished. It was a truly amazing experience; two solid hours without a break. Joey Pang is an incredible presence. She made me feel comfortable and I trusted her entirely.

According to Japanese legend, if a koi succeeded in climbing the falls at a point called Dragon Gate on the Yellow River, it would be transformed into a dragon. Based on that legend, it became a symbol of worldly aspiration and advancement.

More generally, the Japanese associate koi (also known as carp) with perseverance in adversity and strength of purpose. Because of its strength and determination to overcome obstacles, it stands for courage and the ability to attain high goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment